Aaahhh… each month the difficult decision on what game idea to realize. Hmm, should I try something classical, e. g. a simple jump’n’run or tower defense thingy, just to have made one and gain technical insight? Or should I dabble at a fresh idea of which I do not have a clue if it works out, if it will make any fun, or I even can finish it given my time constraints?
Last weekend it was Global Game Jam time again – yay!
So I joined a team of six (me included) at the GGJ location in Stuttgart, and this cute little 2-player game is our result: Holey Cruise. Enjoy!
So it is on again, another experimental game competition is scheduled. This time it´s the Global Game Jam and I have the honor to attend the guys in the Stuttgart / Germany location which is kindly hosted by people from Chasing Carrots.
What crazy game thing will I be hackcoding in this weekend? Don´t know yet… of course it depends on the yet unannounced theme.
Things that I really would like to try out are topics like ‘swarm AI’, ‘dynamic context-aware music / ambient sound system’, and ‘procedurally generated content’. But I´m not sure if that will fit the theme and the upcoming ideas.
But some I managed to decide some things in advance (bye-bye, spontaneity 😉 )
- I will try to use some timelapse software (maybe Chronolapse). Never did this before… let´s see, what comes out.
- I will use Unity 4.0 (free).
- I will have (more or less) proper sleep – means: no all-nighters, no sleeping bag, will go home over the night.
- If I do not find someone to team-up with that can do sound / music, then I´ll try to compose an ingame tune myself. Will use FLStudio for this. (Only for this purpose I installed Windows 8 on my MacBook using Bootcamp.)
- I try to do a *proper* brainstorming phase this time – using FreeMind, maybe with paper prototyping, … and some other, dirty tricks I learned from watching rad GDC videos. 😉
- This time I try to manage the work by using a Kanban taskboard instead of a pure text file. Maybe KanbanFlow. Hopefully the local internet will always work…
- I will try to update my progress regularly here in my blog.
By the way: do you care to help me as a beta tester? I think a testable version will be available after Saturday 2013-01-26, 16:00 h (UTC +01:00). Just drop some comment here.